Yakima produces the number one selling brand of bike racks that keep your bikes securely attached to your vehicle. Yakima bike racks are sturdy, versatile, functional, compact and they include models that can accommodate up to two to four bike rack, fits all types of bikes, from fat to beach cruisers to high-end carbon fibre bikes.
Though some of the Yakima bike racks have standard features, they are still different in term of functionality, durability, size, prices, and various types of mount. These factors can make choosing the best Yakima bike rack more challenging especially if you are planning to buy your first bike rack. Here are the top 9 Yakima bike racks after considering different factors with in-depth research.
Top 9 Best Yakima Bike Racks for Cars
- Securely carries 26" to 29" wheels and tires up to 5" wide; Unrivaled spacing between bikes - up to 18" between each bike
- QuickChange lever provides tool-free adjustment while bikes are loaded, minimizing the potential for bike-to-bike interference
- Easy-to-use RemoteControl tilt lever and lightweight, aluminum design makes raising and lowering the rack a breeze
- Tool-free locking SpeedKnob for a secure and easy install to your vehicle; Extra burly SKS cable lock system for each bike secures both wheels and frame
- 40lbs weight maximum per bike; Add the EZ+1 and carry a third bike (sold separately)
- Tilts away for rear-of-vehicle access; Standard SwitchBlade anti-sway cradles eliminate bike-to-bike contact
- TriggerFinger technology lets you fold arms down with the press of a button; Durable powder coat finish
- Add a DeadLock for bike and rack security
- Compatible with 2" and 11/4" (class I, II, and III) hitch receivers right out of the box
- Optional DeadLock available to lock your bikes to your hitch carrier, and the hitch carrier to your vehicle
- Tool-free locking SpeedKnob for quick installation locks the rack to your vehicle
- UpperHand lever tilts rack down for vehicle access and folds it flat for storage
- ZipStrips secure bikes to the rack and are fully removable combined with anti-sway cradles eliminate bike-to-bike contact
- Fits 1.25" and 2" hitch receiver
- Quick and easy assembly within minutes, comes with fully integrated security
- StrongArm design enables you to load your bike quickly whether it's a 20" wheel or a 29er
- Zero contact with the bike frame; Accommodates carbon road bikes as well as disc brakes, thru axles and full suspension bikes
- Locks bike to rack and rack to vehicle, weight 49.0 lbs, load capacity 60 lbs weight maximum per bike
- Carries 2 bikes out of the box, or 4 bikes with optional HoldUp +2. 1-1/4" or 2" Hitch Receiver Required
- Modern design complements today's vehicles, bikes and cyclists
- SuperCush ZipStrip cradles allow for premium bike protection
- Four-strap design for easy installation
- Enhanced vehicle fit achieved through external frame construction and padding
- Full SKS locking package locks rack to vehicle and bikes to rack to help prevent theft
- Transport up to 4 bikes regardless of frame design, suspension, or wheel size; Ideal for fat bikes (FatStraps not included), kids' bikes and fenders
- Low tray height for quick and easy loading and unloading of bikes; Converts from a 4 bike rack to a 2 bike rack in minutes
- Folds down with bikes loaded for rear-of-vehicle access; Folds up when not in use
- SKS Hitch lock included; Fits 2" hitch receiver only
- Maximum bike weight 45lbs/20.5 kg ( Total maximum load 180lbs/82 kg)
- SuperCush ZipStrip cradles secure the bikes and make loading and unloading a breeze; ZipStrips secure bikes to the rack and are fully removable
- Anti-sway cradle design minimizes bike-to-bike contact; TireTread pads add stability and protection; Steel construction is strong and durable
- Fits nearly any stock size spare; Universal mounting plate with extension fits most lug patterns
- Locking knob secures rack and sparetire to vehicle; SKS locking package secures bikes to rack to help prevent theft
- 2-bike capacity; Yakima signature bottle opener lets you enjoy a post-ride cold one
- QuickTrigger hub system makes install easy and fast
- Integrated stable cradles hold bikes firmly in place
- Padded feet and coated metal buckles protect your vehicle
- Available in 2 or 3 bike carrying capacities
- Arms fold for compact storage
- New wheel hoop fits 26" to 29" wheels and tires from 23 mm to 3.25 inches with no adjustment needed
- New integrated TorqueRight knob quickly and easily secures the bike with precision
- Requires no wheel removal and makes no contact with the bike frame - a great option for carbon fiber bikes and custom paint jobs
- Sleek, low profile tray minimizes hatch interference; Approved Crossbar Spread -18" - 36"
- Tool-free, universal mounting hardware fits most roof racks
9. Yakima DrTray 2 – Bike Hitch Rack
Yakima is one of the leading producers of bike racks, and they didn’t disappoint with this Dr.Tray bike rack. It is the ideal bike carrier for your hitch is one of the lightest in its class. Dr.Tray can carry about one to two bikes with weight & sizes of 37 IBS & 1.25 inches and 32 IBS & 2 inches.
Dr.Tray 2 can easily handle mountain, road, and fat tire bikes. The bike clearance is exceptional due to the 18 inches between the trays, and you can also adjust it to be tool free when loading the bike, this means it eliminates any issue with bikes interference. With the tilt lever and locking SpeedKnob, you can easily attach the bikes. Another exciting feature is the SKS cable lock system; this secures both frame and wheels to prevent collapse and theft.
Pros and Cons
- Ultra Lightweight
- Folds up for easy transport and storage
- Compatible with nearly any tire
- Not suitable for bikes with mounted fenders
8. Yakima Double Down – Bike Rack
If you’re looking for a functional hitch-style bike rack that is reasonably priced, then this DoubleDown bike rack from Yakima is the ideal solution. It doesn’t only carry up to four bikes, but you can conveniently move it out of the way when you’re not using it. With the SwitchBlade anti-sway cradles, the bike rack can hold up to four bikes and keep everything securely in place thus eliminating worries about bike scratching and bumping along the way, and it also removes the bike-to-bike contact.
The bike rack fold down mechanism allows you to put it at the back of your car and still add other items you may need for its trip. DoubleDown is one of the most secure and safest racks for your gear, and it is compatible with 2- and 1-1/4 inches hitch receivers. The bike rack is built to last with its high-quality components
Pros and Cons
- Rugged and reliable
- Slim arms fit a variety of bike frames
- Lifetime warranty
- May not be able to hold four bikes conveniently
7. Yakima Products RidgeBack – Hitch Bike Rack
The RidgeBack is another high-quality bike rack from Yakima. The hitch mount boast of UpperHand lever tilting mechanism, this means you can tilt the carrier while you access your trunk which is pretty impressive. It is a perfect fit with 2- and 1-1/4 inches hitch receivers and the locking SpeedKnob system provides quick installation locks to your vehicle.
The RidgeBack bike rack has a ZipStrips feature that allows you to secure your bikes to the carrier and they are fully removable. The Anti-sway cradles hold up your bikes and keep them in place, so you don’t need to worry about the bike swaying while you are driving.
Pros and Cons
- Easy to fold-up for storage and transport
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Instruction is not explicit, so it could be difficult to install
6. Yakima Hold Up Tray Style Bike Rack
The Yakima Hold up bike rack is secure, convenient, and has fast hitch-tray bike loader. It features a StrongArm pivoting hook that allows you to fasten your bike without touching the frame and it also makes loading the bicycle comfortable irrespective of the type of wheel. The side-to-side adjustability also reduces the chance of the bikes interfering with one and other.
With the weight of 49 pounds and maximum load capacity of 60 pounds per bike, the Hold Up bike rack can accommodate through axles, disc brakes, and full suspension bikes. The SKS cable lock mechanism secures – both the frame and wheels from theft and collapse. It can carry two bicycles out of the box and fits well with 2 and 1-1/4 inches hitch receivers.
Pros and Cons
- Easy to assembly
- Safe and secure
- Bikes easily fit in
- Works well with nearly any tire
- Flimsy strap
5. Yakima FullBack 2 – Bike Carrier
The FullBack bike carrier from Yakima will secure your bike, easy to install and use, easy to store, and easy on your wallet. The new modern design of the bike carrier complements today’s bicycle, vehicles, and end users. The new SuperCush ZipStrip cradles give your bike premium protection while the new four strap design allows you to install the rack easily. Through padding and external frame construction, the tray has enhanced vehicle fit.
The FullBack bike carrier has a compact design; this reduces the space it occupies and also easy to transport. With the interlocking hub that adjusts the touch points, the rack is easy to install. It features a locking package that secures the frame to your vehicle, and the high-quality gloss finish makes it stylish.
Pros and Cons
- Easy to use
- Rugged and reliable construction
- Built-in bottle opener
- Not compatible with every vehicle
4. Yakima FourTimer – Hitch Bike Rack
The Yakima FourTimer hitch bike rack is perfect for quick loading and convenience. The bike carrier can carry up to four bikes of all sizes and shapes, and ideal for bikes with fenders, fat bikes, women bikes, and you can convert it to two-bike rack within few minutes.
The Yakima FourTimer hitch bike rack features a low tray height; this allows you to load and unload your bikes quickly. The bike rack is only compatible with 2 inches hitch receiver, and the SKS cable lock of the FourTimer helps secure your frame and wheels from collapsing and possibly theft. You will appreciate the fold up functionality when you are not using it.
Pros and Cons
- Integrated bottle opener
- Fits nearly any tire
- Difficult to install
3. Yakima SpareRide – Bike Carrier
The SpareRide is an easy to attach bike carrier that is secure, durable, and stable. The new SuperCush cradles feature of the SpareRide provides superior protection to your bikes while the new TireTread pads offer you stability. The rack also boasts of ZipStrips function; this secures your bike to the carrier while been fully removable.
The steel construction of the SpareRide bike carrier provides it with strength and durability. The extension and universal mounting plate make the rack fits almost all lug patterns, and the locking knob offers quick and easy installation. The anti-sway cradle reduces the bike interference, and the SKS locking cable firmly secures your bike and protects it from thieves.
Pros and Cons
- Rugged and durable
- Easy to fold up
- Fits nearly any size type
- Easy to install
- Wobbles a little when driving
2. Yakima HangOut 2 – Bike Trunk Rack
Yakima has come up with another winner with the HangOut bike trunk rack. One look at it tells you all you need to know; it is both well-built and reliable. Mounting the bike rack is a breeze, and you can easily slide it into the hitch and lock it in, and the locking feature ensures no one can steal the carrier.
The HangOut bike rack arms fold down when not in use, so you can store and transport with ease. It can carry between two to three bikes, and the coated metal buckles and padded feet prevent your car from scratching. The Quick trigger hub mechanism makes it fast and easy to install the bike rack while the incorporated stable cradles secure and hold your bike firmly in place.
Pros and Cons
- Affordable and reliable
- Easy to set up
- Stable and durable
- A bit heavy
1. Yakima HighRoad – Top Car Bike Rack
The HighRoad is the latest addition to Yakima’s premium upright bike mount. It is sleek, simple to use, and secure. The top bike rack comes with an adjustable free hoop, and the TorqueRight knobs mean you can quickly load any mountain or road bikes with up to 3.25 inches tires safely and secure for travel. With the SKS lock cable, you can ensure your bike and protect it from thieves.
The bike rack is designed with a low profile tray and forward shift while offering impressive hatch clearance. The HighRoad rack bike features universal mounting hardware that is compatible with most roof racks. It requires no removal of the wheel and doesn’t make contact with the frame of the bike, an ideal option for custom paint jobs and carbon fibre bikes.
Pros and Cons
- Heavy duty design
- Fits most car roof
- Easy to install
- Not ideal for wheel sizes smaller than 26 inches
The top 9 Yakima bike racks on this list, are not just right, there are the best the company has to offer. You will comfortably find the one that matches your exact need. They have useful functions, durable, stable, reliable, and you will get the value for your money.