A vinyl cutting machine is a machine you can use to cut out vinyl shapes. They are common in sign writing businesses and even for hobbyists who want to play around with greeting cards, materials, and other crafts at home.
They range in size and price, with some ideal for home use and others commercially. Some are also high-quality while others are lacking. If the time has come to upgrade your vinyl cutting machine or buy a new one to start afresh, you will find there are options galore. Check out these ones below to see if any pique your curiosity.
Top 9 Best Vinyl Cutting Machines
- CUTS UP TO 0.1" THICKNESS: The Brother Home Electronic Cutting Machine effortlessly cuts materials such as foam and felt with the Auto Blade. Material compatibility may vary. Always perform a trial/test cut to confirm a successful cut.
- ON-SCREEN EDITING: Editing designs is fast and easy. This ScanNCut machine comes with a 5" LCD touchscreen display.
- FULLY DETAILED DESIGNS: With 682 built-in designs, 100 quilt patterns, and 9 letter fonts, this Brother Cutting Machine produces detailed work.
- WIRELESS NETWORK READY: Wirelessly connect your PC or mobile device to transfer cut data from the Brother CanvasWorkspace application.
- PERFECT FOR QUILTERS AND SEWERS: The Brother SDX125 Electronic Cutting Machine provides a ¼" increment seam allowance to piece together fabric.
- New Silhouette Cameo Portrait 2 (Cameo Mini) electronic cutting machine with 1 year warranty
- Bluetooth, Auto Adjusting Blade, 8 Inch Cutting Mat, Autoblade, Blade Adjuster
- Vinyl Application Guide by Silhouette School - Printed with Full Color Photos PLUS 7 BONUS E-GUIDES by Silhouette School (Link Located within Vinyl Idea Guide Card), Online Cameo 3 Instructional Class - Reduce your learning curve and get crafting faster, 1 Month Membership to Silhouette U - ACCESS TO OVER 150 VIDEOS!!!, Guides, Q&A, and More, 1 Month Membership to Silhouette Club - Amazing Monthly Perks from Silhouette.
- 24 Sheets of Assorted Oracal 651 Permanent Vinyl - 12 Inch x 12 Inch Each, Pack of 24 Sketch Pens, Hook Tool, Scraper Tool, 6 Feet of Premium Transfer Tape
- 100 EXCLUSIVE DESIGNS with an ADDITIONAL 50 BONUS DESIGNS & VINYL IDEAS, CUSTOMER SERVICE & PRODUCT SUPPORT, $25 in digital downloads from Silhouette's Design Store ($25 Code is accessed during registration), Studio Software for Windows Vista / Windows 7 and higher and Mac OS X 10.5.9 and higher, USB Cord, Power Cord 110V-240V.
- Cuts a variety of material including vinyl, paper, cardstock, fabric, and other materials up to 12 inches wide and 10 feet long.
- Use the powerful Silhouette Studio design software to create your projects. Features Bluetooth technology for wireless cutting or plugs into your home computer.
- Features a dual-carriage for multi-tool use and a higher 2 mm clearance to cut thicker materials. Is compatible with Print & Cut and PixScan technology.
- Is the only Silhouette compatible with the self-adjusting AutoBlade.
- Includes Silhouette CAMEO cutting machine, Silhouette Studio software, power cable and USB cable, 12-Inch Cutting Mat, AutoBlade cutting blade
- CR1300 Vinyl Cutter
- VinylMaster Cut
- Stand And Basket
- 5 Year Warranty
- READY WHEN YOU ARE - This non-electric machine has no warm-up time. Effortlessly apply edge-to-edge adhesive with only a few turns of the handle and very little clean up.
- NO-MESS ADHESIVE - Replace your messy glue sticks, smelly spray mount and double-sided tape. Apply acid-free, non-toxic adhesive for sleek, professional results.
- TWO CARTRIDGE SIZES - Tackle projects big and small. This handy machine accepts both 9" and 5" cartridges to help minimize waste and maximize flexibility of all your craft projects.
- EASY DROP-IN CARTRIDGE - Comes pre-loaded with one 25 foot by 9 inch permanent adhesive cartridge. Also accepts laminate and magnet refills (sold separately).
- ENDLESS CREATIVITY - Great for arts and crafts, the Creative Station can help you make wedding invitations, handmade cards, educational flash cards, stickers, labels and more
- The Expert II 24 Inch wide cutter is great for Crafters as well as commercial users.
- This machine is faster than a Cricut Air or Silhouette Cameo, cutting up to 400 mm a Second with up to 350 grams of down force. Great for cutting Vinyl and Heat Transfer such as Oracal 651 and Siser Easyweed. Cut up to 24 Inch wide. Save money by buying full rolls of vinyl.
- Includes: Aligning System for Contour Cutting (ASS II), Cutting Blade, Cutting Blade Holder, Vinyl Trimmer, Roll Feeder Attachment for table top use, Cutting Strip, Weeding Tweezers, USB Cord, Power Cord, Install CD
- 10 Sample Sheets of Oracal 651 - 24 Inch Wide, Siser Heat Transfer Swatch Book, Oracal 651 Swatch Book, Redemption Card to So Fontsy Commercial Designs, So Fontsy offers Thousands of COMMERCIAL AND PERSONAL USE Designs & Fonts. Over 70 of the Top Designers in the Industry. All Files are Cut Friendly and 100% Commercial use.(Please note that the card is valid for the card redemption portion of the site)
- Software: Plugins for use with CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator CS. Compatible with Windows XP and Newer
- The Cricut Explore Air 2 is your personal DIY cutting machine. Make custom vinyl stickers, personalized home decor, unique greeting cards, custom designed apparel, and more
- Upload your own images for free or choose from Cricut's vast library of pre-made designs and projects. Double tool holder for cutting and writing or cutting and scoring in one step
- Design anywhere. Free access to Cricut's simple design software, Design Space. Create and design from your computer, tablet or mobile phone using the Cricut Design App for iOS and Android devices
- Make the perfect cut every time. The Smart Set Dial ensures that your machine cuts at the correct depth and pressure for any type of material
- Cuts 100+ materials. Cricut offers a wide range of materials specifically designed and tested for use with the Cricut machine including basic and specialty Vinyl colors, Iron-on Vinyls, Cardstock, Faux Leather, Adhesive Foils, Specialty Paper, Poster Board and more
- The silhouette cameo include a 12 inch cutting mat, cutting blade, 50 exclusive cuttable designs and $10 gift card to the Silhouette Online Store
- Includes access to thousands of downloadable designs; Includes PC and Mac compatible software
- Cuts up to 12-inch wide and 10-feet long; cuts a variety of materials from vinyl to fabric
- Great for Scrapbook layouts, cards,custom apparel, vinyl decor, etched glass, sketch designs, and paper crafts
- Intricate cuts, precision duplication, and smooth edges make the Silhouette the perfect tool for paper crafting projects
- Cricut Maker gives you the freedom to make everything from paper crafts, iron-ons, and vinyl decals to sewing projects, leather crafts, and balsa models
- Expandable suite of tools. With its powerful blades, pens, and scoring tool, Cricut Maker grows with you as you learn each new craft
- New Rotary Blade. With its gliding, rolling action, this blade cuts through virtually any fabric quickly and accurately - without backing material
- New Knife Blade (sold separately; coming in 2018). This extra-deep blade slices through heavier materials like 2.4mm (3/32") balsa wood and matboard with ease
- Simplifies sewing and quilting projects. Choose from hundreds of digital sewing patterns, and Cricut Maker cuts and marks all the pieces - you just sew them together
9. Brother SDX125 Vinyl Cutting Machine
If you’re a beginner crafter in need of a vinyl cutting machine for all manner of craft projects, then this Brother model is for you. Feedback for this machine has been excellent, and it’s clear to see why.
It boasts a five-inch touchscreen, connects seamlessly to your WiFi network, and offers a premium 600-dpi scanner as well. It will also blend in well with your home office, given that it has a contemporary and sleek gray and aqua color scheme. If you don’t have a computer, then you also don’t need to worry. This vinyl cutting machine works on its own, with on-screen editing making it possible to use it as a stand-alone unit.
The blade is automatic, it comes with blade-sensor technology, and will even detect the material thickness too. While its primary purpose is vinyl cutting, it will cut felt and other fabrics too – as long as they are within 0.1 inches thick.
Sealing the deal for this vinyl cutting machine is that it has a range of fun options. You can use the 682 built-in patterns, 100 quilt patterns, nine letter fonts, and the available technology for drawing, foil, and embossing. There is very little this affordable and high-quality vinyl cutting machine can’t do.
- Five-inch touch screen
- Wireless network-ready
- 600 DPI scanner
- 682 built-in designs
- Grey and aqua color scheme
- 0.1-inch cutting capacity
- Automatic blade
- On-screen editing
- 100 quilt patterns
- Nine letter fonts
- Blade sensor technology
- Stand-alone unit
- You don’t need a computer to use it
- It runs quietly
- It detects the thickness of the material
- You can cut a range of materials
- Affordable price tag
- It has built-in storage
- You can use it for drawing, embossing and foil
- Comes with a range of accessories
- One-year warranty
- It takes up a lot of room
- The software is buggy
8. Silhouette Portrait 2 Electronic Cutting Machine
If you are trying to get involved in a new hobby, such as signwriting with the need for a vinyl cutting machine, then it can be hard to buy the full kit and everything you need at once. After all, if it’s a new hobby, how do you know all the items you are going to need to use? You don’t, which is why a full kit with a vinyl cutting machine is an excellent option.
You are going to enjoy everything that comes with this vinyl cutting machine from Silhouette Portrait 2. Not only do you get a slice-and-dice machine with the power you need it to have, but you get vinyl, sketch pens, transfer tape, and everything you need to get the job done. There’s almost nothing this vinyl cutting machine can’t do for the beginner.
If you were to look at the broad range of features of it, the machine will continue to impress you. It has Bluetooth connectivity, a one-month design store access subscription, and you can connect it to your Mac or Windows computer. If you’re feeling particularly creative, you can also take advantage of the 100 designs that come with it.
When it comes time to make the cut, the vinyl application color guide and automatic adjusting blade will also put a smile on your face. If you are looking for a beginner’s vinyl cutting machine that ticks all the boxes, you may find this one is the answer.
- Automatic adjustment blade
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Oracal vinyl
- Sketch pens
- One-year warranty
- Accessories included
- Eight-inch cutting mat
- 100 designs
- One-month design store access
- Vinyl application color guide
- Mac and Windows compatible
- It comes with a range of accessories
- Very affordable
- You get access to a design store with exclusive designs
- Straightforward to connect it to your computer
- Excellent for beginners
- Lovely selection of vinyl
- Bonus stuff from Fontsy
- The directions are challenging to understand
- The accessories are not as high-quality as others on the market
- The transfer tape doesn’t work
7. Silhouette Cameo 3 Wireless Cutting Machine
If you have no previous experience with a vinyl cutting machine and, therefore, no expectations, you may like to consider this machine from Silhouette. As a Cameo 3 model, it’s supposedly a step up from their previous ones but doesn’t tend to gain all positive reviews.
You cannot use this vinyl cutting machine to import your own vector imagery for cutting, and it tends to run noisily while not being overly user-friendly either. What’s more, the software is buggy and doesn’t operate in the way you would expect.
However, for all the negatives, there are still a few things that may have you purchasing this vinyl cutting machine anyway. It has an automatic blade, you can use it with a range of materials such as cardboard and fabric, and it’s compatible with other software. It also comes with a spare blade and 12-inch cutting mat, while offering the capability to cut pieces of vinyl up to 10 feet long.
It then connects seamlessly to your computer with a cord or via Bluetooth. It’s not the best vinyl cutting machine on the market, but it’s an excellent first option while you learn the ropes.
- Automatic blade
- Dual carriage studio software
- White color
- Multi-material use
- 12-inch by 10-foot long capacity
- Bluetooth technology
- Multi-tool use
- PixScan and Print & Cut-compatible
- 12-inch cutting mat
- AutoBlade cutting blade
- You can connect it to your computer with a cord or via Bluetooth
- It comes with a range of accessories
- Affordable price tag
- You can run 10 feet of vinyl through it
- You can cut vinyl, card, fabric, paper, and more
- You can use the software to make your own projects
- It’s compatible with leading print and cut programs
- The software has a lot of bugs
- It’s not as user-friendly as other Silhouette models
- It’s a noisy machine
- You can’t import your own vector artwork
Another Article: Wood Splitting Axe: top great axes for hunting, camping and farm use
6. ProCut Creation CR1300 Vinyl Cutter
If your business revolves around printing and signwriting, then you won’t be disappointed at this vinyl cutting machine as your next business investment. While it might not suit a large commercial business, it’s the perfect accompaniment to a business that’s looking to expand into vinyl.
You can use it with heat transfer material, signwriting material, and window tints as well. It’s a jack of all trades vinyl cutting machine that won’t let you down. This vinyl cutting machine also comes with a generous five-year warranty period, a floor stand to keep it off the ground, and three blades with a plotting pen.
You get to benefit from some of the best technology on the market, as well as effortless plug and play setup that requires only a USB connection. However, you will need a continuous internet connection to be able to use this vinyl cutting machine.
When you use this vinyl cutting machine, it will impress you. Significant fans hold the vinyl flat for cutting, it tracks well and requires minimal maintenance. It might be a bit on the expensive side, but it’s not a vinyl cutting machine that will let you down.
- Five-year warranty
- Vinyl master cut
- Stand and basket included
- Floor stand
- LCD screen
- USB connection
- Plug and play setup
- Three blades
- Plotting pen
- Generous warranty period
- Advanced technology
- Works quickly
- Easy-care unit
- Effortless to see what it’s doing on the screen
- The fans hold the vinyl flat
- It tracks well
- You can use it for window tints, sign vinyl, heat transfer, and more
- It’s expensive
- You have to have a solid internet connection at all times
- Less ideal for thick material
5. Xyron Creative Station Cutter
If you want to play around with vinyl at home, then this vinyl cutting machine is going to be an excellent addition to your hobby room. It won’t be suitable for a commercial operation given its simplicity and lack of features, but that doesn’t mean it won’t tick all the boxes for someone who likes to dabble in vinyl from time to time.
You can use it with a five or nine-inch cartridge and it has space for two. It also comes with one nine-inch cartridge with 25-feet of material on it already. That’s an extreme bonus! You can use it with a magnet or adhesive material, and it requires no maintenance either.
The real standout feature, however, is that you don’t need to use any heat or electricity. It simply works without it. It also creates next to no waste, is effortless to use, and won’t cost you the earth to buy as well. It does have a few faults but nothing that will be a deal breaker. The crank handle feels cheap, it’s not well-balanced and it’s not okay for use in a commercial setting. Overall, it will offer premium bang for your buck – even with those minor points.
- Five or nine-inch options
- Two cartridges
- Adhesive laminate
- 25-foot by a nine-inch adhesive cartridge
- Battery, heat, and electricity-free
- Doesn’t require the use of electricity
- You can use nine-inch or five-inch cartridges
- You can use it with two-sided laminate or magnet
- Requires no maintenance
- Suitable for beginners
- Affordable to buy
- Creates less wastage than other machines
- The crank handle feels flimsy
- The machine is not well-balanced
- Not enough features
- Only suitable for home use
4. GCC Professional Expert Vinyl Cutter
Not every vinyl cutting machine on the market is going to be suitable for a beginner, but you will be pleasantly surprised at how this one caters to both the amateur market and the commercial one. While you can enjoy using this vinyl cutting machine at home, you will also feel comfortable taking it into a business environment as well.
When it first arrives, the sheer volume of accessories will surprise you. There are many things that come with it to help you get started. Enjoy a range of sample sheets, vinyl, tools and cutting equipment – all of which you will learn to use from the very beginning. The instructions are confusing but you will soon get the hang of it.
What you may also like is that you can use it with leading design programs. It syncs up well with CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator and comes with thousands of designs and tips to dabble in. When the time comes to add a vinyl cutting machine to your hobby room or work office, consider this one from GCC.
- Commercial and home use
- 400mm per second cutting capacity
- Vinyl and heat transfer compatible
- 24-inch width capacity
- Cutting blade and holder included
- Roll feeder attachment
- Ten sample sheets
- Swatch book
- Free fonts and designs
- It’s packed full of accessories
- It has everything you need to get started
- Affordable price tag
- Ideal for commercial or home use
- Sleek and stylish design
- You can use it with leading design programs
- Hard-to-follow instructions
Another Article: Best Warm Premium Dog Blankets
3. Cricut Explore Air 2 Vinyl Cutting Machine
Slow and steady wins the race, which is true in the case of this vinyl cutting machine from Cricut. While it’s far slower to operate than other vinyl cutting machines on the market, it does so with unbelievable accuracy and care. It doesn’t, however, have a manual feed jogger to rectify jams quickly.
You can buy it in four lovely colors – mint, cherry blossom, persimmon, or matt black, and it looks sleek and stylish no matter where you use it. Add it to your hobby space at home, or take it into your workplace.
You can utilize the many pre-made projects and designs or even upload your masterpieces as well. It’s truly a premium vinyl cutting machine that does its best to cater to your needs. It comes with a double tool holder, design software, and a premium German carbide blade to seal the deal too.
When it comes to technology, this vinyl cutting machine tries its best – even if it doesn’t always get it right. The website and software on it are clunky and buggy, and you must always have an internet connection to run it. However, it can connect via Bluetooth and is compatible with iOs and Android so that point is bound to appeal to many.
Use it with a range of materials, take advantage of the smart set dial, and enjoy how precise and accurate this vinyl cutting machine is.
- Mint, cherry blossom, matt black, or persimmon color options
- Pre-made designs and projects
- Upload your designs
- Double tool holder
- Design software included
- Smart set dial
- 100-plus material compatible
- Bluetooth technology
- German carbide blade
- You can use it with a full range of materials
- Ideal for commercial or personal use
- Affordable price tag
- Sleek and stylish design
- Plenty of color options
- You can connect it to your computer via Bluetooth
- Premium quality lade
- Comes with software
- iOS and Android-compatible
- You can use it to cut, write and score
- The website and software is glitchy and buggy
- No manual feed jogger
- It operates slowly
- You have to use the software on the internet
Another Article: Best Comfortable Memory Foam Bike Seats Reviews
2. Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Tool
If you intend on using a vinyl cutting machine for home use, then consider making it this one from Silhouette. This vinyl cutting machine is a middle-of-the-road machine you can buy for a fraction of the price of others, with or without accessories in bundles.
It’s more suitable for home users because of its simple functionality, and the accessories are not the best quality either. The 12-inch cutting mat it comes with sticks to the paper, and some of the cutting blades don’t come with removable tips.
However, there is still a lot to enjoy about this vinyl cutting machine. It comes with a range of freebies including 50 cuttable designs and a Silhouette gift card, and you can use it with a PC or Mac. The cutting capacity is also fairly decent at 10 feet long and 12 inches wide.
You can also use this vinyl cutting machine for vinyl and other materials, making it a multi-purpose machine to suit your needs. Upgrade to this vinyl cutting machine or try one out for the first time. In either instance, it will do as you need it to.
- 12-inch cutting mat
- Cutting blade
- 50 cuttable designs
- Silhouette gift card
- PC and Mac compatible software
- 12-inch wide and 10-foot long capacity
- Vinyl, fabric, and more
- Intricate cuts
- Smooth edges
- It cuts a range of material
- You can buy it in bundles
- You can use it to make apparel, cards, scrapbook designs, and more
- Affordable price tag
- High-quality technology
- Generous cutting capacity
- Premium cutting blade
- Plenty of freebies included
- The accessories are not the best quality
- The cutting mats stick to the paper
- The blades do not always have removable tips
- Not overly precise at cutting
Another Article: Best Male Condoms
1. Cricut Maker Vinyl Cutter
If you don’t mind that not everything is available for this vinyl cutting machine yet, then you may like to consider purchasing it for your business and personal craft needs. This vinyl cutting machine may not have everything ready to go, but it’s going to be one of the better options on the market regardless.
You can buy it in champagne or rose color schemes, benefit from its range of tools such as rotary blades and other tools, and make use of its 2.4mm cutting capacity as well. This vinyl cutting machine can handle far thicker materials than other units on the market, including balsa wood, iron-on adhesives, leather, and more.
It’s also very user-friendly, has a sleek design, and comes jam-packed full of sewing and quilting patterns. You can even find a dock on it for your smartphone to sit and charge from it as well. It’s clear to see Cricut has thought of everything, so it’s well worth a closer look.
- Champagne or rose color options
- Ideal for vinyl, leather, iron-on adhesive, balsa wood, and more
- Powerful blades
- Rotary and new knife blade
- 2.4mm-thick cutting capacity
- Comes with hundreds of sewing and quilting patterns
- Easy to use
- Lovely color options
- Sleek design
- Very user-friendly
- Ideal for experts and beginners
- Suitable for thicker material than normal
- You can use your own designs and images
- It has a docking slot for your phone
- You can charge your phone on it
- Expensive price tag
- The web application is not reliable
- Not enough computer compatibility
- A lot of features are not available for it yet
Another Article: Best Twin Bed Frames for Saving Home Space and Home Decor
Considerations for Purchasing a Vinyl Cutting Machine
Before you jump the gun and buy a vinyl cutting machine that isn’t going to make you happy, you need to consider what you need and what each machine can offer. Failure to cross-check your preferences against the machine’s features can result in customer dissatisfaction and poor reviews for the manufacturer.
Accuracy with a vinyl cutting machine is important. If it’s not accurate, it won’t cut your design properly, it will jam, and it will waste your expensive vinyl. Read the reviews to find out if it is. A manufacturer can easily tell you it is even when it is not.
Some of the best vinyl cutting machines on the market are still some of the most affordable because it always comes down to convenient features. The best vinyl cutting machine is going to be one you can sync to your phone or tablet, or can connect via Bluetooth to your computer. It should also enable you to upload your design files or choose from hundreds of their own.
- Cutting Capacity
If you are dealing with sign writing daily or larger pieces of vinyl, then you need to make sure the vinyl cutting machine you are looking at can deliver. All machines have a limit – both large and small. While the length is normally around 10 feet, the width can vary. Think about the orders you normally fill and whether the machine will be able to help with them.