A tire traction mat is a robust mat made of steel, rubber, or plastic construction that gets you out of terrible situations. If you find yourself stuck in mud, sand, ice, snow, or slush, you can place it under the tire of your vehicle, offering traction for your car to get out of the rut. Often a tire traction mat is the last resort, or an only option, which means that you need it to do the job properly.
Unfortunately, not everyone does due diligence which means that you can buy some that aren’t fit for purpose. The worst part is, you don’t find out until you go to use it and it doesn’t work! If you’re in the market to purchase a tire traction mat to avoid getting stuck, it’s crucial to do your research first.
You can find out which features matter the most below, as well as check out nine high-quality options which may suit your needs. There’s no better time than now to weigh up your options, do your research, and add a high-quality tire traction mat to your shopping cart for an emergency situation. You are sure to find that if you end up stuck, you will be pleased you made the purchase.
Table of Contents
- Top 9 Best Tire Traction Mats for Cars
- 9. SUNPIE Emergency Tire Traction Mats
- 8. WawaAuto All-Weather Foldable Auto Traction Mat
- 7. Jumbl All-Weather Foldable Auto Traction Mat
- 6. MAXSA Escaper Buddy Traction Mat
- 5. Discount Ramps Car Recovery Traction Grip Track
- 4. Stalwart Tire Snow Grabber Mat
- 3. Speedmaster Vehicle Tire Traction Mats
- 2. RUGCEL WINCH Recovery Traction Mats for Off Road Condition
- 1. LITEWAY Recovery Traction Tracks
- Considerations for Purchasing a New Tire Traction Mat
- Top Bestseller Tire Traction Mats
- Other Articles You Might Also Like:
- Related Post
Top 9 Best Tire Traction Mats for Cars
9. SUNPIE Emergency Tire Traction Mats
If you find yourself in a tricky situation, with mud, sand, ice or snow causing you to get stuck, then you need a SUNPIE tire traction mat. As a pair of fluoro orange mats you can use with all manner of vehicles, you are sure to find they are everything you need, and more.
They feature robust polypropylene material that lasts the distance, and you can choose from either one or two handles. What’s more, they are resistant to the elements which mean the plastic remains robust, rather than going brittle in intense sunlight.
If you’re worried about durability, don’t be. These mats may be affordable to buy, but they will handle everything you can throw at them. You can even use them with all manner of vehicles up to 10 tons. They are anti-corrosive, compact, and can go with you everywhere you go.
Rather than opt for name brands that cost the earth, spend a fraction of that price but get the same value. This tire traction mat pair is well worth adding to your wish list.
- Suitable for mud, sand, ice, and snow
- One or two-handle options
- Polypropylene material
- 10-ton capacity
- UV resistant
- 107 x 31 x 6 centimeters
- Strong, robust plastic
- Not brittle
- Has traction spikes
- Lightweight to carry around in your vehicle
- Helps you get out of tricky situations
- Affordable to buy
- The traction spikes can come off
- Not suitable for UTVs
8. WawaAuto All-Weather Foldable Auto Traction Mat
If you are on a strict budget, but you still want a tire traction mat for a “just in case” scenario, then look no further than this pair from WawaAuto. Unlike other mats on the market, this set folds up for convenient storage in your car, but will always be available for use in every situation.
You can use them in mud, sand, snow, and ice, and for any vehicle up to three and a half tons as well. What’s more, they feature a hexagonal honeycomb texture which helps supply the much-needed grip to pull you out of a tight spot.
While this tire traction mat is not going to be suitable for large vehicles, or those stuck deeply in mud or other challenging terrains, it still meets the mark for being able to stop your tires spinning so you can gain traction. It also beats having to put your hands in the ground and dig dirt and snow out as well!
If you want to prepare yourself and your vehicle for any eventuality, set your sights on this 22-inch, adjustable angle tire traction mat from WawaAuto.
- 22 x 7 x 0.5 inches
- 3.5-ton weight capacity
- Suitable for ice, snow, mud, and sand
- Adjustable angle
- Hexagonal honeycomb design
- The honeycomb creates excellent friction
- More affordable than most other options
- You can fold them up for convenient storage
- They are suitable for several situations
- They have a weak weight capacity
- The grip is not as excellent as other options on the market
- They slip out of place
7. Jumbl All-Weather Foldable Auto Traction Mat
No one ever sets out with the intention of having to use a tire traction mat, but that doesn’t mean this Jumbl all-weather auto traction mat won’t come in handy at some point. Without spending too much cash, you can purchase this 51-inch two-pair of traction mats and benefit from peace of mind that you will make it out of tight situations.
They feature robust, heavy-duty plastic in bright orange, come with honeycomb edging to help with traction, and also fold up into a nylon carry bag as well. What’s more, you can use them with cars, trucks, vans, and even cargo tracks – making them an all-around versatile and convenient tool to keep in your vehicle.
While there is a hope that you never have to use them, you will be pleased you have them if you need them. You unfold them, wedge them under your tires, then use them as leverage to get yourself out of mud, sand, ice, or snow. This foldable auto traction mat from Jumbl will be the best automotive purchase you make for your vehicle.
- 51 inches
- Heavy-duty plastic
- Snow, ice, mud, or sand suitability
- Honeycomb edging
- Superior traction
- Suitable for cars, vans, trucks, cargo trucks
- Snow chain alternative
- Nylon pouch
- Effortless to store within a nylon pouch, folded up
- Bright color so you can always see them
- Suitable for various terrains
- You can use them with many vehicles
- Affordable to buy
- Generous 51-inch length
- More suitable for small cars
- The pouch is low quality
- Too lightweight and feel flimsy
6. MAXSA Escaper Buddy Traction Mat
If you’re in the market for an automotive tire traction mat, you will find the market is full of them. Unfortunately, many of them are very expensive, making them out of reach of many people. If you need something to keep in your vehicle if you find yourself stuck in severe conditions, but without the hefty price tag, then this set from MAXSA could be a good option for you.
While you can rely on them equally as much as you can a more well-known brand, you get them for a fraction of the cost. What’s more, you get two for your purchase price in a vibrant orange color made of high-impact polypropylene.
You don’t have to tow your vehicle, push it, or even put in any effort. Instead, you can put this MAXSA tire traction mat set under your wheels then let it do all the work. If you want to make sure it will do the job correctly, you can also buy extra connectable pieces.
You can use this tire traction mat set in all weather, with all vehicles, and with any person of any ability. It doesn’t take a big and burly bloke to pull your car out of mud, sand, snow, or ice. Instead, all it takes is you and the forethought to purchase MAXSA tire traction mats.
- Set of two
- Raised tracks
- Suitable for snow, sand, mud, or ice
- High-impact polypropylene
- Off-road use
- All-vehicle use
- Orange color
- You can purchase extra connectable pieces for length
- Strong, long-lasting polypropylene
- You don’t have to use any muscle
- The color stands out
- You get a set of two
- You can use them for on or off the road
- You can use them with any vehicles
- Plenty of grip
- Affordable price tag
- They don’t lock together well
- They don’t sit flush with each other
5. Discount Ramps Car Recovery Traction Grip Track
If you’re tired of being stung with low-quality tire traction mat options that don’t get you out of messes, then set your sights on this rugged tire traction mat from Discount Ramps. While you pay more to receive one track instead of two, you will be happy you did. You can’t put a price on a quality product that can get you out of many situations.
This tire traction mat is made of steel as opposed to plastic and is suitable for snow, mud, and sand. It’s also foldable which means you can store it under the seat in your vehicle, only needing to worry about it when you have to use it.
It’s a vibrant orange color to be more visible to passersby, and it also has a clawed surface to offer better grip. More importantly, however, it’s of a generous length to make sure you have every opportunity available to get your vehicle of challenging terrain.
Rather than buy a cheap tire traction mat that won’t dent your wallet but also won’t work, purchase one that gets the job done. The price may be a bitter pill to swallow, but you’ll happily chew it when it works a treat every time.
- 6.5 x 7.25 x 1.88 inches
- Clawed surface
- Suitable for snow, mud, and sand
- All-steel construction
- High-visibility orange
- Robust construction
- Steel is stronger than the more common plastic
- The clawing offers exceptional grip
- Suitable for all vehicles
- Will pull you out of mud, snow, and sand
- Vibrant color for better visibility
- You only get one track for the purchase price
- Expensive to buy
4. Stalwart Tire Snow Grabber Mat
If you’re looking for a quick and convenient way in which to remove your vehicle from sand, mud, or snow, then take a closer look at this tire traction mat from Stalwart. Known as the snow grabber, it helps your vehicle’s tires gain traction to get out of a tough situation.
This tire traction mat differs in many ways from its competition. Firstly, its price tag is very affordable. If you have a small budget, you’ll find this tire traction mat is well within it. Then, its ability to provide traction is exceptional.
From small to large vehicles, the mat works as a grabber to give the footing your car requires to move. Because it features a plastic, textured surface, it’s also flexible enough to work with your vehicle as well – regardless of the terrain.
Sealing the deal is the knowledge that this two pack, at 21 inches long, is more than suitable for a range of vehicles, and is lightweight and robust at a little over one pound. This tire traction mat will tick all the boxes for a variety of people, so it’s well worth a closer inspection.
- Textured surface
- Snow grabbers
- 21.8 x 5.7 x 0.7 inches
- Black color
- 1.06 pounds
- Affordable to buy
- Convenient storage
- Works well with smaller vehicles
- Flexes with the car’s weight
- Helpful in a range of challenging terrain
- Requires minimal muscle
- Flimsy construction
- Not very strong
- Doesn’t work in icy conditions
3. Speedmaster Vehicle Tire Traction Mats
While there is no denying that the rubber tire traction mat selection on the market is suitable for a range of people, some people would also like a tire traction mat that would last a long time.
This one could be the ticket. Produced by Speedmaster as a rubber tire traction mat, it meets the mark for both off-road enthusiasts and those finding themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Unlike a plastic tire traction mat which may succumb to the elements over time, this one won’t. It features heavy-duty, durable, and robust rubber which will handle your vehicle getting stuck time and time again.
All you need to do is put it under your vehicle, then drive off and out of the mud, sand, or snow. It’s that easy. You don’t need snow chains or any other equipment. You then get that triumphant feeling of success, knowing you now have a reliable product to help you out of a sticky situation.
Even though you pay a little more for this tire traction mat than you would a plastic one, you will understand why after the first time you use it. It’s worth every penny.
- 60 x 13 inches
- Black color
- Suitable for mud, snow, and sand
- Storage bag included
- Rubber construction
- Durable, hard-wearing rubber
- Suitable for all vehicles, including four-wheel drives
- You can use it in a range of challenging conditions
- It comes with a storage bag
- It’s long at 60 inches
- It lasts a long time
- It won’t split or break unlike plastic mats
- More expensive than other mats
- Harder to store in your vehicle than other mats with its larger size
2. RUGCEL WINCH Recovery Traction Mats for Off Road Condition
If you don’t mind spending a little more money if it means you are going to make it out of challenging terrain, then take a look at this tire traction mat from RUGCEL WINCH. It may be on the higher end of the price scale, but you get premium bang for your buck.
You can use them in the sand, snow, mud, or slush, and benefit from a 7,700-pound capacity for each tire traction mat. What’s more, they are built for harsh and challenging conditions.
The benefits don’t end there, either. You don’t have to tow or push your vehicles, and the nylon-reinforced plastic is lightweight and durable. As a result, you will be able to use them for a range of vehicles. If you’re struggling to clear an area to help with your rescue mission, the tire traction mats have another use.
Flip them over and use them as a shovel! Then, when you no longer need the tire traction mat, you can put them in the supplied nylon storage bag and put them back in your vehicle – out of sight and out of mind.
While you do pay more for this tire traction mat set than you would others, it’s far better than spending less and still being stuck in the mud.
- Raised tracks
- Suitable for snow, sand, mud, and slush
- Nylon reinforced plastic
- 7,700-pound capacity per ramp
- Multi-use ramp
- Stackable design
- Nylon storage bag
- Large size
- Very heavy-duty
- Suitable for various vehicles
- You can use them in any terrain
- If you flip them upside down, you can use them as shovels to remove dirt
- They are larger than others on the market
- They come in a portable bag
- They have a generous capacity
- Expensive to buy
- Not as effective as others
1. LITEWAY Recovery Traction Tracks
If you need an affordable tire traction mat to see you through some uncomfortable situations, this is going to be an excellent option. Featuring UV-stabilized nylon and suitable for use in snow, mud, sand, and loose terrain, it will meet your needs in more ways than one.
However, aside from its ability to cater to your needs in a range of situations, you will also like this tire traction mat set for other reasons as well. The mats are large in size, come with two in a set, and have engineering grade reinforcement too. What’s more, you can buy them in either red or black and benefit from the included two-year warranty.
Then, if you’re struggling to get your vehicle unstuck, you can flip the tire traction mat over and use the underside as a shovel. It doesn’t get much better than that! Therefore, there’s every reason to consider adding this mat set to your wish list today.
- Two-year warranty
- UV-stabilized nylon
- Engineering grade reinforcement
- Large size
- 22.8 x 12.95 inches
- Two mats in a set
- Shovel feature
- Suitable for mud, snow, sand, and loose terrain
- You can flip it over and use it as a shovel
- It’s suitable for all vehicles
- They are larger than others on the market
- They come with a warranty whereas most don’t
- They feature robust and hardy material
- You get two mats in a set
- You can use them in various terrain types
- Very expensive to buy
- Not as durable as other materials
Considerations for Purchasing a New Tire Traction Mat
You may think that you can get away with spending as little as possible and that the quality of a tire traction mat won’t matter, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Instead, you need to do due diligence, put the price tag to the back of your mind, and focus on what matters the most: whether it’s able to do the job.
Not every tire traction mat is built to the same standard, which means that even two similar looking mats on the market can act very differently in the same situation. Don’t jump into a decision right away. Instead, consider the following.
- Material There are three primary material types in the construction process of a tire traction mat. You can select from polypropylene plastic, rubber, and steel. Plastic, with some nylon, is the most popular option. Steel comes in second, and third, rubber.
Plastic is one of the more preferred options because it’s lightweight, transportable, and for all intents and purposes, quite rugged. Steel is heavier but won’t succumb to the elements, while rubber is far more durable and long-lasting than plastic. However, rubber and steel are a little more expensive.
- Quantity The quantity of mats you receive when you purchase them also matters. What happens if you get both tires stuck and need support for both? While many options on the market feature packs of two, not all do.
With some, you need to make two different purchases which can end up quite expensive. Some are also longer than others, or you can spend more to get connecting pieces to make them longer.
- Terrain You need a tire traction mat for one reason: to get your vehicle unstuck in challenging terrain. However, did you know that not every tire traction mat is suitable for every terrain? When you’re on the hunt for a new tire mat, make sure you can use it in ice, snow, slush, mud, sand, and other loose, hard-to-grip terrain.
- Vehicle Type You can’t select a tire traction mat online and “hope” that it works with your vehicle. You need to be sure. For the most part, manufacturers specify whether their mats will work for all cars, or whether they’re more suitable for vehicles, ATVs, and UTVs. If they don’t clarify, contact the manufacturer.
Otherwise, you may end up purchasing it, and it’s not suitable for your needs. Alternatively, pay attention to the weight capacity. Most sit at around the 5-10-ton capacity for each tire traction mat.
- Storage How inconvenient is it to have bright orange, long mats sitting in your vehicle permanently? Because you, hopefully, will never need to use them that often, they can end up being more of a hindrance than a help.
However, that’s why it’s crucial to pay attention to the ease of storage. Some of the options online come with convenient storage bags that have handles, or they fold up so you can store them underneath your seats.
Top Bestseller Tire Traction Mats
Other Articles You Might Also Like:
- Best Family Matching Pajamas
- Best Rat Traps
- Best V-Neck Sweater Vests for Men
- Best Cotton Trunk Underwears for Men
- Best Calvin Klein Leather Belts for Men
- Best Conair Hair Dryers
- Best Long Sleeve Faux Leather Jackets
- Best Net Polish Sets
- Best Knit Scarves for Women
- Best Scary Masks