To the casual cyclist, the very thought of picking new bike pedals for your bike is a weird concept. After all, your bicycle comes with them, so why would you need to change them? The truth is, your bike pedals can play a significant role in your cycling success, so it never hurts to look at your options.
There are various pedal types on the market, some of which will meet the mark for your needs and others that won’t. You can gain better efficiency on the road with clipless pedals, but you will find maneuverability is far better with platform pedals. If you opt for clipless pedals, you will need to make sure the shoes you have work with them. What’s more, you need to check whether the pedal set comes with cleats or without.
Whether you want a platform pedal, a clipless one, or even pedal toe clips and straps, you will find there are several options available to suit your requirements. However, given your reliance on pedals to cycle, it’s in your best interests to always choose the best quality option. We’ve included a few of these below.
Top 9 Best Bicycle Pedals for Mountain Bike Riders
- Universal Fit: ½" pedal with 9/16" pedal adaptor fits all types of bicycle cranks
- CPSC approved reflectors are built in for increased visibility in low light conditions
- Durable composite body will not rust
- Bearing Alloy High Quality Pedals, Light But Strong.
- Long Ride Comfort Pedaling Efficiency.
- Non-Slip Design Better Grip but Avoid Damage to Shoes.
- High Working Performance, Great for BMX MTB.
- Suitable for both Mountain Bikes or Road Bicycles.
- Material: [body] nylon composite, [axle] chromoly steel
- Removable Pins: yes, steel
- Claimed Weight: 340 g
- Actual Weight Notes: Race Face Chester flat pedals.
- Recommended Use: mountain bike
- Shimano pedaling dynamics - spd performs whether you're on or off the bike; makes pedaling more efficient with a wide variety of shoe and pedal styles; and the recess cleat makes walking more comfortable
- Innovative - by eliminating toe-clips and integrating the pedal and outsole into a single; unified power transfer system; shimano changed the industry
- Incredible performance - spd not only boosting power to the pedal; but also the rider's control over increasingly adventurous styles of riding
- Better control - you can pedal with greater efficiency; stability and comfort with the spd system
- Superior mud-shedding design - an open binding design allows mud and debris to be flushed out when the rider steps in
- Unique shape with concave platform for better control and efficiency
- Extra-wide and especially low profile
- Longer; replaceable pins; screwed in from the back for easy maintenance
- Developed and dedicated to Downhill racing
- Allows responsive levels of acceleration and deceleration
- SEALED BEARINGS - Standard 9 / 16 inch CrMo steel spindle sealed bearing with gold tail cap, fully enclosed design prevents water and dust from entering the shaft, protects the interior of the bearing and effectively prolongs the service life of the bicycle pedal.
- STABLE STRUCTURE - Unique structural design and CNC integration strengthen the overall structure of the bicycle pedals with more stable and durable, the size and weight is 0.90x4.13x4.66inches, 0.51lb each, the area-wide bicycle pedals provide a more comfortable ride experience, more fitted to the soles, even riding on a rugged mountain road makes you feel safer and more comfortable.
- SOLID METERIAL - High-strength AL6061 aluminum alloy material and 0.16inch material thickness provides the bike pedals more stronger and durable. The two side of the bike pedal is formed by artificial grinding with fashionable and beautiful. Surface treatment process of metal oxidation enhances the abrasion resistance, greatly reducing scratches and effectively protects the original color of bicycle pedals, keep it smooth and beautiful.
- Anti-skid nail - 12 silver and 4 gold removable studs skid-proof pins on the platform bike pedals surface, provide enough grip and prevent skidding, enhance non-slip effect, making you better adapt to the wild bike competitions and other activities.
- UNIVERSAL THREAD - Screw thread is 9/16" and the diameter is 1.43cm, easy to install, suitable for most mountain bikes, road bikes, BMX bikes, folding bikes, urban bikes, travel bikes, cyclo-cross bikes, fixed gear bikes, unicycles, scooters, e-bike etc.
- Durable material: high quality aluminum alloy material, durable steel ball axis, durable and long-term use.
- The 9/16" bicycle pedal is suitable for most bicycles. Suitable for city, commuting, mountain, electric bicycle.
- Non-slip: Aluminum anti-slip pedals are designed to clip on the clips and do not slip off the pedals when gripped. The axis of the steel ball increases the pedal speed smoothly, reducing the amount of pumping time.
- Riding safely at night: Reflectors on both sides of the pedal increase visibility in low-light conditions, dramatically improving visibility in the dark
- Strong Spindle: Durable boron steel alloy gives you excellent support.
- Wide; lightweight resin body provides large shoe contact area to maximize power transfer and support
- Larger entry target for easy cleat engagement
- Wide spring tension adjustment range
- Durable stainless steel body plate reduces flex and pedal body wear
- Wide bearing placement for stable; uniform load distribution
- Material (Spindle): CroMo
Pedal Color: Silver
Pedal Material: Aluminum
Pedal Spindle: 9/16"
Pedal Style: Cage
9. Schwinn Universal Bike Pedals
Believe it or not, with enough use, your bike pedal set on your bicycle can wear out. And, it happens sooner than you think. If your feet begin to slip off, the plastic is wearing down to the join, or you find they are not as comfortable as they once were, it could be time to look at upgrading them. However, it’s essential to opt for a well-known brand of bike pedal such as Schwinn. Therefore, you will always know they will meet the mark for quality.
This pedal set is going to be suitable for all types and styles of bike. They are a half-inch universal pedal, come with 9/16-inch adapters, and are easy to install. What’s more, with the adapters, you’re able to fit them to most bicycle cranks with no problem. Even those do not have a mechanical mind will find these pedals are effortless to put on.
What’s more, they feature robust composite material to ensure they handle all conditions. As a result, you will find they don’t rust or succumb to the elements, even when you leave them outside.
If you’re traveling at night, you will also be impressed with how suitable this bike pedal set is. They feature reflectors with CPSC approval which help to provide better visibility in low light conditions.
8. Agptek Bike Bicycle Pedals for Mountain Cycling Road Bicycles
If you do a bit of mountain biking or BMXing, you are going to find this versatile bike pedal set ticks all the boxes for your needs. Not only do they have the comfort for extended periods when you’re mountain biking, but they also have the grip and durability you require when you’re on the BMX track. In essence, they are a multi-functional pedal that will provide no end of convenience to the user.
However, there is more to these pedals than meets the eye. Because they feature robust and reliable alloy, they are durable to handle all conditions but are also lightweight for better performance. What’s more, you can use them for on-road and off-road bicycles, all the while knowing they have the grip and design to see you through pedaling power.
They feature a non-slip design, are affordable to buy and are an attractive bike pedal set you will have no trouble purchasing for your bike. If you’re in the market for something that won’t cost the earth but will see you through several years of cycling, this is a set of pedals well worth your consideration.
7. RaceFace Chester Mountain Bike Pedal
If you pride yourself on your mountain biking skills, then choosing parts for your bike such as bike pedal sets is something into which you have to put a lot of thought. Believe it or not, standard pedals are not always going to be the best option.
This bike pedal set from RaceFace is suitable for both beginners and professionals, changing the way in which you pedal for better performance. They feature nylon composite with a Chromoly steel axle and are ideal for all kinds of mountain bikes. What’s more, the change in material from the previous alloy pedal means they are also far lighter as well.
When you buy these bike pedals, you benefit from eight hex pins which allow for better grip, as well as an easy-to-access axle which is fully sealed and easy to service. What’s more, even though people traditionally prefer alloy pedals for their better grip, this nylon set is on-par for your benefit.
6. Shimano Dual Platform Pedals
If you use your bike for many different events and occasions, then you will find this multi-purpose dual platform pedal set from Shimano will meet the mark in more ways than one. It’s affordable, built to last, and will allow you to pedal for miles on end comfortably.
These high-quality pedals also feature a clip or clipless design, depending on your requirements. It has an SPD clip interface on one side of the pedal, with a standard platform on the other side. As a result, you can use the clip side for your biking shoes, and the regular edge for your everyday walking shoes. There’s no end to the benefits this setup can offer.
Even the material component will impress purchasers. The body features aluminum with a barrel finish while coming with clear retention adjusters as well. What’s more, when you buy this bike pedal set from Shimano, you receive a pair of two-bolt cleats. Not every pedal set on the market comes with them so it’s enabling you to get a better deal.
5. Shimano Platform Pedals
If your mountain biking journeys take you for several miles, then you will no doubt require bike pedal sets that offer unparalleled comfort. Otherwise, you may find yourself with sore legs, sore feet, and the unwillingness to get back on the bike for some time. If you’re struggling to find a bike pedal set that caters to those who put in the miles, then it could be time to set your sights on these Shimano platform pedals.
Not only do they cater to those who spend a lot of time on their bike, but they help you to benefit from even better pedaling efficiency as well. And, as you well know, every little bit counts.
They come with pins you can replace, a robust axle to last the distance and they buck the trend even on size as well. They are 3mm wider and 85mm lower than MX30 pedals – a significant improvement. If you have a 9/16-inch crank, these bike pedals are for you.
4. BONMIXC Mountain Bike Pedals
If you’re tired of every bike pedal set you buy being uncomfortable or short-lived, then it might be time to look at these mountain bike pedals from BONMIXC. Even though they are available for a competitive price, they feature a range of convenient options to suit your every bicycle need.
They are suitable for bikes with a 9/16-inch crank, have sealed bearings to stop anything entering the shaft, and are stable and durable as well. As a result, you can rest assured that water, dust, and dirt will not affect their structural integrity.
What’s more, they feature strong and robust aluminum alloy which offers more strength and durability than many other bike pedal sets on the market. And, with artificial grinding, they are also resistant to abrasions for a more attractive look on your bike.
If you’re not yet convinced that this bike pedal set is the one for you, then two final features will seal the deal. These pedals come with removal studs and skid-proof pins, both of which help to provide better grip and prevent skidding during a race.
3. EPICORD Mountain Bike High Performance Pedals
If you don’t have a lot of money to spend on your bicycle, but you don’t want to compromise on quality, then this bike pedal set from EPICORD could be a valid option for you. Even though you pay a small amount of money for them, you receive a bike pedal set that’s built to last and is exceptionally well made.
They feature aluminum alloy with robust steel ball axis and are suitable for a 9/16-inch crank as well. As a result, they are universal for many different bicycles on the market.
What’s more, they are a grippy bike pedal that stops you from slipping off and potentially straining your legs. As anti-slip pedals, they clip onto the clips and, once you grip them, you won’t slip off.
Each pedal has reflectors for safer night riding, while the robust boron steel spindle offers unparalleled support. Even for a small outlay, you do get a lot of bang for your buck with this bike pedal set.
2. Shimano Road Bike Pedal
If nothing but the best will do when it comes to your mountain bike and competition cycling, then you are going to want to take a closer look at this bike pedal set from Shimano. As some of the best pedals on the market, they will tick all the boxes for comfort, wear, durability and even materials.
They feature a lightweight composite body for better resilience and durability, all the while offering lightweight stainless-steel plating for reduced flex and wear. When you’re pedaling, you also benefit from a stable spindle which features high-quality Chromoly steel for your benefit.
With a broad platform and effective power transfer, this pedal set from Shimano could tick all the boxes for your needs.
1. MKS Sylvan Road Bicycle Pedals
Not every bike pedal set you come across on the market is going to be suitable for your requirements. In fact, even in on-road cycling, you can find the pedals differ from one brand to the next. However, if you’re searching for a robust bike pedal that’s going to last the distance while featuring high-quality materials, then you’ll find that and more with MKS Sylvan road bicycle pedals.
As a bike pedal set that professionals and amateurs use, they are easy to regard as some of the best on the market. As a pair, they weigh 360 grams, while also featuring both a cage and a polished alloy body. This is a winning recipe as they are not as prone to wear and tear as composite body options on the market.
What you will also enjoy is how universal they are. As an aluminum pedal with a 9/16-inch crank, you can use them for one of your bicycles or all of them – they are bound to be suitable for most. They also feature common bearings, while being easy to adjust and a fraction of the cost of more well-known brands.
Users also love the quill which amounts to effortless entry when you’re wearing shoes with cleats. If you’re in the market for affordable yet quality bike pedals, these are a set that’s well worth your inspection.